Monday, September 19, 2011

PURPLE POTATOES! And a Recipe



 Ok, I am a little TOO excited to try these purple potatoes.
I found the "potato medley" at Trader Joes and I think it just makes roasted veggies look so pretty!
I guess I was surprised to see they were purple inside.
Red potatoes are still white inside, right?
So my ideas for dinner were bigger than my oven tonight, just like my eyes are bigger than my stomach. Roasted chicken, veggies (carrots, three kinds of potatoes and onions) and what I call "Lazy Sweet Potato Casserole"
Now, I'm not saying I'm a genius but I enjoy it and I "thought" of it on my own, on the first Thanksgiving Eddy and I had together. Since it was just the two of us that year I didn't want to go crazy, so I bought chicken breasts on the bone and did the must have green bean casserole, and instead of making sweet potato casserole I made up my own and I didn't dirty an extra dish.

Lazy Sweet Potato "Casserole"
Bake your sweet potatoes. I cook them for 20 minutes (do NOT poke holes in them! It helps them steam if the skin is intact) at 450 degrees, place them straight on the rack with a baking sheet with tin foil to catch drippings. After the 20 minutes reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook for about hour. They will be so soft and delicious! 
(I did a google search a couple years ago on cooking a perfect sweet potato and found the directions above- on THIS site)
                                           Now comes the good part!
So I slice them down the middle, add butter, brown sugar and top with two marshmallows and put them on the lined baking sheet, pop them back in the oven on broil for 2-3 minutes until the marshmallows are puffed and golden on top.

These weren't huge potatoes, Lola rarely eats them... She is a bit of a freak, she didn't even eat the marshmallow! Eddy would rather eat an entire plate of meat so when I looked at his, plate he pretty much handed me the other half of his. sweet potato Which means I ate 2 1/2.... Lola picked at the half I gave her but didn't come close to finishing it.
Dinner, baby-style

No comments:

Post a Comment