Tuesday, September 20, 2011

That was interesting....

This morning I was getting Lo and myself ready to head to preschool. It started drizzling so we got our rain gear out. By the time we were half way to school it was starting to really rain hard. I parked in the driveway of the school like I always do and we started on our way up to class. 
I don't remember why I looked behind us but I see two HUGE wolves dogs running right for us. They were each well over 100 pounds and I ran through a billion ideas of how to handle this situation. The dogs looked perfectly friendly but also like they could eat us in one bite and considering their size and the short distance I didn't have a lot of time to react so I froze, still holding Lola's hand and the copper colored dog gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as they continued past us. And then I finally took another breath. Disaster (passively) avoided.
They looked like the two on the left, but they were even prettier than these- and WAY bigger. The copper one had piercing blue eyes.

Hey look!!! Stephanie got a picture and sent it to me :) That's Koda on the left and Chief on the right. They were drenched but those special coats of theirs really keep the water on the top layer of fur!


Lola was giggling about the dogs. They kept running off to the side of the playground fence and I started my guilt of letting the dogs run off without trying to catch them and find their owner. We kept on our way to the Activities Building (which is also the way into the playground) to go potty and wash hands. Another mom opened the door to the building as we were on our way out of the bathroom and instead of kids walking in the door, in ran the two dogs! They had a similar effect on most of the parent's as they had on me- freeze, assess, stare confusedly. Then one mom started to corral them, so I joined in. Lucky for us they were very well mannered and they laid down while Amy looked at their collars. Chief and Koda's owner was called and given directions and told that his dogs were currently at preschool. He would be there in 15 minutes.

But it's raining, so it took longer than that. Amy said we should find something to use as a lead and I remembered the kids had dog leashes upstairs to "walk" the toy dogs. so we sat outside with them, Koda was definitely the calmer of the two and I think Chief, who I was holding onto, must have been the ring leader in this adventure. He would sit for a minute but then wanted to explore and boy was he strong.
We ventured up to the front of the church as the dogs seemed to trick us into thinking they recognized a car that pulled up. So when I saw a little blue Mini Cooper I half joked "I bet that's him" and of course it was. A very tall man in a business suit jumped out and thanked us profusely as the giant beasts happily jumped in the tiny car. It was like a scene out of a circus cartoon. He explained that they had a 6 foot fence. That they added 2 feet of lattice to the top of because the dogs jumped the fence. I think they must have a buddy system worked out where one stands on top of the other, climbs over, throws a rope to the other and pulls him out of the fence. I forgot to ask where they lived, they panted for a long time once they were resting so it was probably a good distance.
Just another day at preschool....

1 comment: