Sunday, September 18, 2011

Somewhere, over the rainbow *Tutorial!*

It's almost fall and it's starting to feel and look like it. Fall is by far my most favoritest season of all time! I love cool, crisp air, apple pies, cider, stews. Crunchy leaves, Halloween costumes (and candy!) I'M SO EXCITED! And I even love days that start like this:
Did you wake up to something like this, this morning? That is the view from my living room window, that is open by the way, because it is the perfect temperature outside! Overcast is a bit dull though so I decided to add a splash of color to the day and make a rainbow hair clip!
  First things first. Supplies:
Ribbon 1/4 wide- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and white for the clouds and to line your alligator clip. Five pieces of each color (add more or less depending on how big you want it). I cut my pieces like this, Red- 3 inches, I think it should have been more like 3 1/4 inches though. Orange- 2 3/4, yellow 2 1/2 and so on, decreasing each set of color by 1/4 inch. I didn't measure the white, oops! You need enough 1/4 inch white to cover your clip and a couple inches of 5/8 inch white for each cloud
Scissors
Lighter or what you use to seal the ends of your ribbon
Hot Glue Gun
Alligator Clip 
Once you have every thing cut and ready to go, heat seal all the ends of the ribbons
If you are like me, your ribbon won't be exactly the same length so line them up according to size, longest to shortest. *Start with the purple- it is easier to to work your way up from the bottom but I forgot to take a picture of purple....
Start by gluing the two smallest purple ribbons together, making sure they are overlapping each other as close to perfect as possible. Once they cool (not completely, just enough to not burn your finger!) wrap them over your finger to make the curve.
 
 Once there is a couple layers of ribbon you can keep it on your finger (hopefully) without burning yourself. Line up the next ribbon, holding one end between your thumb and index finger. Apply the glue to the top of the curve, and press the loose ribbon down, making sure it is still lining up correctly.
 Now you should have something that looks a like this, just dab some more glue on each loose end and press!
 Then add green, then yellow, orange and red
...do you see my secret? I didn't have any solid red ribbon left so i had to use white polka dot. The dots don't show on the back!
Don't be afraid to ask for help... As a matter of fact, I can rent out my helpers for a couple hours for a nominal fee...
Done? Now you should have something similar to this! Mine is a little rough, I was making it up as I went along.... Let's add some clouds to hide the not so perfect ends.
I used 5/8 inch ribbon for the clouds. Make a french knot, trim the ends, leaving a little extra to secure to the bottom of the "cloud" then glue to one side of the rainbow. Repeat for other side
Line your alligator clip with the 1/4 inch white ribbon and attach the rainbow- remember to keep in mind which side your daughter (niece, granddaughter, random child on the street with hair in her eyes) parts her hair
And this is what you will end up with. Ok so the contrast on the picture is a little screwy so you can't see the clouds that well... Lemme fix that....
Annnnd now the colors are weird but you can see the detail of the knots!
This tutorial thing is fun, Maybe now that Lola is back in school I can do more... I can keep with the rainbow theme and do a tutorial of my niece's birthday party invites :)



No comments:

Post a Comment